Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Wild Outback

I could blame the 2011 drought, but it was almost this bad in 2010...and each of the last 15 years.

The challenge: How many invasive plants can you capture in one photo from your own backyard?

The response: Five (and perhaps six, if you count the little dewberry vine at the lower right).

The list:

The large one at upper and center is a sumac of some sort. I'm guessing, but aside from the greenish stems (poison sumac has reddish stems), it sure resembles sumac in leaf structure and size. There are seevral sumac varieties, so I will have to research this.

The weed just below the sumac-like weed is the dock weed (I think). Not poinsonous, but not good in my yard.

The evil one at the upper left is the infamous poison ivy. There is a dousing of broad leaf weed killer its near future.

The weed at the lower left is the waxy leaf privet. I know. For a "common" name, it ain't so common. However, it is still listed on the state website as a dangerous invasive.

The fifth one is barely visible, but just to the left of the dock weed is a little sprout of (and be very afraid) bur chervil. I'll post the runner up photo in the next post to show a more mature chervil - a fascinating plant for so many reasons.

All of these are listed as dangerous invaders to Texas for one reason or another. I find them invasive only because they are in my own backyard.



No comments:

Post a Comment